Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Day 8 - Mini-Slam #2

And on the 8th day, we created magic.

We read stuff, and we listened, and we had a few visitors. Tara read, and E.J. read to Feliz Navidad, and Anna read, and Mr. Rees read, and River played music.

Mccall read and Colby read and Sara read and Reagan read and John read and Sam read.

Emma read and Mallary read and Morgan read and Cole read and Abby read and Jess read.

Megan read and Isaac read and Natty read and Tanner read and Michael read.


There were poems about monsters and compassion and little sisters and cat calls and no means no and a poem that recapped it all.

There were poems about graduation and driving and slavery and Alpine and love and heartbreak.

There were loud poems and quiet poems, rap poems and scream poems. There were teacher poems and student poems and poems with music and poems with silence and everything in between.

YOU ARE ALL WITNESSES

I honestly don't know how we can keep this up all year. We don't have the energy, do we?

Next time:
Work on Project #1
Click here to submit your Project #1 Proposal

12 comments:

  1. Michael is brilliant. The mini slam idea is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree. i had an idea. i think we should have set mini slam days. like we just know when we come to class that it's going to be a mini slam. like in the preschool every tuesday is show and tell. and in creative writing every friday or monday or whatever is a slam. ya know?

      Delete
  2. I thought River's music was sweet. Some of the beats didn't fit perfectly, but it definitely added something to the performances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today was great. I felt that today was like my first successful slam. I'm finally getting comfortable with being in front of the class. We should definitely do this on a regular basis. And I also want to hear from people in the class that we don't get to hear from as often. And River's music was great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. second what madeline said. mini slam days are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ya I love this class

    and today was great

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, okay. At least one every other week. How does that sound? So we'll have another one next Wednesday or Friday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the regularity of the slams will not only increase the comfortability for us to share. But it will also aid in the continuation of the creativity by allowing us to keep writing for a purpose. I am all for this idea.

      Delete
  7. I really appreciate you letting me come be a part of this today. I felt a lot of things and was inspired to write new stuff. You've got a great thing goin on for you guys. If only I was conceived a few months later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming. You're always welcome to come back. I don't give that offer to everyone. Whenever you want to write, read, listen, whatever. Thanks again. And I agree. This is a great group of students. It's cool to be around a bunch of creative people who are excited to be there.

      Delete
  8. omg tara i am your biggest fan pls read/see this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I know I suck at reading, because I don't have the gene for "public energy" and stuff, but seriously I wish I could've come. I wish that was an option.

    COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS YOU LITTLE HIGH SCHOOLS RATS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, but Jackie O might be the biggest legend to ever come out of creative writing. That's like Dr. J hearing about a pickup game at Rucker Park and saying "I wish I could've come." Are you kidding me, Dr. J? Of course you can come. Always.

      Please come at us, bro.

      Delete